Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 23:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, XFree86@xfree86.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 locking up

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, David Dawes wrote:

> >	I've been experiencing a problem with the FreeBSD 2.0-Alpha
> >distribution of XFree86.  I am currently up to the lastest FreeBSD
> >-current along with a new kernel but for some reason, when I use startx,
> >the whole machine will lock up after a short period of time.  I am using
> >a ASUS P54TP4 P5-90 motherboard based on the Intel Triton chipset with
> >the Diamond SpeedStar Plus Hi-Color 16-bit Video Card.  Does anyone have
> >any suggestions what I can do to find out if it is the video card causing
> >the problem since I've already pulled out all other cards and under
> >Microsoft windows, it locks up occasionally after I switch the drivers
> >but if I was using the TurboWindows drivers, it would lock up
> >immediately.  This setup has worked fine when I was using other motherboards
>
> Check the ISA bus timings in the BIOS/chipset setup.  I think these
> are the 8-bit I/O and 16-bit I/O settings (or something similar) for
> the above board.  Also, check if the card has any wait-state or "turbo"
> jumpers.  If that doesn't help, I'd conclude that the card and motherboard
> are incompatible -- since the problem occurs only for that motherboard,
> and in both Windows and XFree86.

	Hmmm, I changed the BUS Timing from the default of 3 to the max
of 4 for the 16bit I/O and from the default of 3 to the max of 8 for the
16 bit I/O.  As for the card's own jumpers, I tried both Normal Bus
Timing and Alternate Bus Timing and also Tried 16 bit BIOS Access On with
Turbo Bios Access and Turbo Display Memory Access both on and off but no
luck.  I think I may need to get that Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM but it
seems everyone is selling the OEM version which has a slower ramdac than
the regular retail 220Mhz version.  If I get that board, will I be able
to use it at all under the VGA or SVGA servers before the S3968 support
is in?  Also, any comments on the ATI WinTurbo or the Graphics Turbo?
Are they basically the same card or is the only difference on the
Graphics Turbo is that it is upgradeable to 4MB?  As for performance and
support under XFree86, will either of them perform as good or better than
the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM and is there support for the 32bpp on
this card?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!