Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:45:29 -0400
From:      Mark E Doner <nuintari@amplex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The question of moving vi to /binHi,

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On 26 June 2009 am 10:02:30 Polytropon wrote:
>
>> Polytropon
>> From Magdeburg, Germany
>>

> big brother is watching me.
>
> An xterm just came up with this message:
>
> "The default editor in FreeBSD is vi, which is efficient to use
> when you have learned it, but somewhat user-unfriendly.  To use
> ee (an easier but less powerful editor) instead, set the
> environment variable EDITOR to /usr/bin/ee"
>
> Isn't this the best reasoning why it should stay as it is?

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option you could toss in make.conf,
like VI_PREFIX=foo, which defaults to /usr of course? Then people who
want to move vi to /bin could rebuild world without worrying about it
redoing such a move after every big upgrade, and people who don't want
it moved, do nothing.

Not that I encourage feature creep or anything.