Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 95 12:00 EST
From:      marrano@passport.ca (Mario Marrano)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, bugs@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org, comp.os.386bsd.apps@passport.ca, comp.os.386bsd.questions@passport.ca, comp.os.386bsd.bugs@passport.ca
Subject:   FreeBSD2.0 Installation "panic" problems

>> Hope someone can direct me to the right group, in any
>case i've
>> got a problem installing v.2 onto my 486sx25 with 2
>ide drives,
>> 1 scsi drive and scsi cd-rom. There is also 12mb ram
>and a vlb
>> ide controller. I get an error message when booting
>from
>> boot.flp
>> to the tune:"fd0c:hard error reading fsbn 16 of 16-31
>(st0
>> 40<abnrml> st1 4<sec_not_fnd> st2 10<wrong_cyl> cyl0
>hd0 sec17)
>> panic:cannot mount root
>
>Are your floppies correctly entered in your BIOS setup
>? It fails  on sector 16, so i suspect you used a
>1.44Mb floppy, but your BIOS  thinks the floppy drive
>is only a 1.2Mb floppy. 1.2Mb drives have  15 sectors,
>1.44Mb drives 18 sectors.
>

>	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )
>
>Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof
>Rudower Chaussee 5  Gebaeude 13.7   Tel:
>+49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe

i've confirmed the proper setup of my bios.when i do a
ctrl-alt-del to reboot after getting the above message,i get
the following screenful:

Fatal trap 12: pagefault while in kernel mode  fault virtual
address = 0xefc00000
fault code = supervisor read,page not present  instruction
pointer = 0x8:0xf01860b0
code segment = base 0x0,limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL 0,pres1, def32 1, gran1  processor eflags =
interrupt enabled,resume,IOPL=0  current process = 0(swapper)
interrupt mask = net tty bio
panic: page fault

my harddrive setup consists of 2 ide drives(c:,d:) and 1 scsi
drive(e: which is 1gb in size). i would like to partition d:
into
2  and install bsd in one partition and os/2 warp in the other.
 it is my first taste of unix but i'm experienced with os/2,
dos.
please help any way you can. thanks.