Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:40:03 -0800
From:      Erich Weiler <weiler@soe.ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Perc H800 controller errors

Hi All,

I've scoured around and can't seem to find others with this exact issue,
so I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed light on this...

We have a FreeBSD server running:

FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Thu Dec 16 14:59:46 PST 2010

It's a Dell R610.  It has two MD1200 disk arrays on it, SAS chained
together.  The controller that manages them is a Perc H800, with the
latest firmware available.

I have the disks exported JBOD from the controller.  And, the disks are
roped into a ZFS filesystem, which is exported via NFS to the local net.

Everything works well most of the time, but every once in a while (like
once every few days), the filesystem completely hangs and we see these
errors on the console:

mfi0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80c3c728 TIMEOUT AFTER 61793 SECONDS
mfi0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80c3c728 TIMEOUT AFTER 61823 SECONDS
mfi0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80c3c728 TIMEOUT AFTER 61853 SECONDS
mfi0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80c3c728 TIMEOUT AFTER 61923 SECONDS
(this is after the filesystem has been hung for a day)

etc...  When I start poking around with mfiutil, it shows everything is
OK, the disks are all OK, the volumes are good, the event logs show no
errors.  The "Patrol" feature is disabled.  The battery is fine.

After running a few of these "mfiutil show drives" and "mfiutil show
[volumes|config]" commands, the lockup magically frees itself.  But, I
don't want them to happen in the first place, and I certainly don't want
to have to manually run a "mfiutil show disks" or whatever to unlock it
every time.  Has anyone seen this before?

I've actually tried another H800 controller we had on the shelf as well,
just to rule out a hardware problem with the first one, but we see the
same behavior on both controllers.

"zpool status" also shows the disks as all OK, and a "zpool scrub" turns
up no problems.

Any insight much appreciated!!

-erich