Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:10:53 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stable branch funnies

John Saunders wrote:
> I then tried a build which failed due to a problem in libg++.

After several more attempts at building, all resulting in failed
compiles of ACG.cc in libg++, I blew away my cvsup'ed source and
re-installed 2.2.5-RELEASE from CD.

Then I found out that the source that built 1 week ago (I have the
timestamps to prove it) doesn't build anymore! Still failing in
ACG.cc (although when building that file by had it compiles).

The build fails reminded me of problem in Linux with signal 11
caused by bad memory/cache/mb. So i pulled out my memory, cleaned
the edge connectors with alcohol, and plugged 'em back in. Result,
sucessfull build! I cvsup'ed -stable and got a perfect build again!

The only thing that has happened to the system between then and
now is I took it to a friends place (by car) to play network games.
So I think this has disturbed the SIMM connectors somehow.

So sorry for wasting peoples time with this. And congrats to core on
providing a good OS that really builds perfectly! :^)

P.S. Something to consider, a "make diff" in the etc directory would
be cool to check out what has changed. I knocked up a little script
to generate a diff of all files so I could merge in changes. With
Squid I have the following proceedure on upgrades...
1) diff squid.config.default squid.config >local.diff
2) build + install squid
3) cp squid.config.default squid.config
4) patch -s -p0 <local.diff
Eight times out of ten this does the job for me without manual work.

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |