Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 10:11:45 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network design

Bogdan TARU wrote:
>  I have an unusual question, and hope I'll find the answer on this list. I
> would like to build a redundant structure of firewalls (2 of them), and I
> really don't have any idea on how to do that. What I would like is a
> scheme like:

[ ... picture ... ]

>  But the real question is: how do I assign the same IP address to two
> interfaces connected to the same hub(s) or switch(es)? I guess this will
> provide the best redundancy. Any such software? If not, could you describe
> an alternative for it, or point me to some resources?

You want VRRP -- Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol.  This
works best with gigabit ethernet cards, which support multiple
MAC addresses.  Do a net search on:

	FreeBSD VRRP

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD ethernet interface isn't terribly
smart.  Ideally, it would provide a virtual interface per VIP,
all the way down to the card; it doesn't.

The typical solution used is to blatantly kludge the multicast
mask in the hardware, and then that leaves the card in a half-baked
"half promiscuous" mode.

-- Terry