Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:57:29 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Subject:   Re: UPDATING - needs updating?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:35 -0500
Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:39:55AM -0800, Vizion wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have noticed that some earlier notices relating to some ports  in
> > UPDATING appear as though they have been made out of data by newer
> > notices (e.g  kde 20050804 seems to replace 20050324) and sometimes
> > the instructions conflict with one another. While I presuime the
> > latest notice always takes precedence I wonder if it would be
> > possible to have notices that are no longer current removed from
> > UPDATING.
>
> I think this is probably a bad idea, simply from a historical
> perspective.  If I wanted to chase down a bug that was available only
> for a specified time period I would like to know the corresponding
> UPDATING entries.

there are enough old machines out there for which the "old"
instructions still apply; in some cases it might not be able to update
w/o intermediary steps.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

Youth doesn't excuse everything.
		-- Dr. Janice Lester (in Kirk's body), "Turnabout Intruder",
		   stardate 5928.5.