Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:34:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dave <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Stand For

On Wednesday, 29 August 2001 at 21:30:22 -0400, Dave wrote:
>>> Berkley Software Design,  I am sure this has to be in the faq and a million
>>> other places
>>
>> wrong, go read the faq and million other places.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> FROM: Greg Lehey
>> DATE: 04/27/1998 00:28:51
>> SUBJECT: RE: What does BSD stand for?
>>>
>>> Depending on whom you ask, "Berkely Standard Distribution" or "Berkely
>>> Software Distribution". The latter is canonical AFAIK.
>>
>> This last went past just a couple of days ago.  "Berkeley Software
>> Distribution".  All else is just plain wrong.
>
> ALAMEDA, Calif., April 4, 2001 - Wind River Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq:WIND), a
> leading provider of software and services for connected smart devices, today
> announced a definitive agreement to purchase the software assets of Berkeley
> Software Design, Inc. (BSDi), the world?s first commercial supplier of BSD UNIX,
> an advanced operating system (OS) for the Internet. Under the agreement, Wind
> River will purchase the commercial version of the BSD UNIX-based OS (BSD/OST)
> and development tools. Wind River will also support FreeBSD, a collaborative
> open source development effort, to advance BSD technologies. Financial details
> will not be disclosed. Wind River expects to close this transaction by late
> April 2001.

BSDi and BSD are two different things.  BSD stands for "Berkeley
Software Distribution".  All else is jut plain wrong.  BSD[Ii] stood
for Berkeley Software Design Inc., but I don't know what that has to
do with the matter.

Note that this press release is pretty inaccurate anyway.  "World?s"?
BSDi did *not* supply BSD UNIX; that was made abundantly clear at the
end of the AT&T lawsuit.  And the operating system was called BSD/OS,
not BSD/OST.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.