Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:58:25 +0000
From:      curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
To:        Sergiusz Jarczyk <sjarczyk@hawk.it.pl>
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with install

hi again Sergiusz,

(smile) remember that my target machine is a Multia and i have not been
able to boot directly from the hard disk, except when i was running
under NetBSD and (chuckle) another time when i did a 'dd' to the hard
disk with the FreeBSD/alpha boot.flp (NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS!! (snicker)).

in regard to the /dev/da0s1a and /dev/da0s1d and the reason for the
abort, Mike Smith sent me this, which fixed that:

> Looks like you need to do the "standard" disklabelling magic before
> rebooting but after the install.
>
> > Can't open /dev/rda0s1a: Device not configured
>
> That's normal too; you need to update /etc/fstab by hand as sysinstall
> is writing out the sliced version but the SRM console won't boot from a
> sliced disk.
>
> Try:
>
> # mount /dev/da0a /
> ... (other mounts as required)
> # vi /etc/fstab
>     (remove 'sX' from device names)
> # disklabel -B da0
>     (should fix the inability to boot from dka0)
> # reboot

(fwiw) disklabel still does not seem to work correctly, so you have to
boot from the floppy, as i mentioned in the last message.

***try this:

after you install the system and after it reboots (you will probably get
an error message), power cycle the machine.

when the srm prompt appears >>>  put the kern.flp disk in and type:
boot dva0     (note: do not use any flags)

(note: in theory, one should be able to type: boot dva0 -flags a  and
have it go all the way to the multiuser system.  for the hard disk boot:
>>>boot dka0 -file kernel -flags a ).

when it asks for the mfsroot.gz disk, press return (with the kern.flp
disk still in)

when it asks about /bin/sh, press enter  ....you should get a # prompt

if you removed the s1 from /dev/da0s1a and /dev/da0s1d in /etc/fstab
then you should be able to:  mount /dev/da0a /  and: swapon /dev/da0b

which will allow you to write to your new FreeBSD/alpha machine

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK _then_

get a copy of the NetBSD/alpha boot floppies (2) and set them aside

install FreeBSD/alpha using the kern.flp & mfsroot.gz disks

when the install is finished and asks for a reboot, do it, but you will
probably get an error message.  when the machine stops, power cycle it
and boot the NetBSD/alpha floppy boot disks (>>>boot dva0).  when it
asks what you want to do, select: f: Exit Install System

when the prompt appears:

# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# cd /mnt/etc

at this point you can use 'ed' to remove the s1 from /dev/da0s1a and
/dev/da0s1d, umount /dev/sd0a, shutdown -h now, power cycle, and follow
the "***try this:" from above.

(note: if you do not like 'ed' and would like to use 'vi', (imo - smile)
this is where ftp can become your best friend.  when you are in /mnt/etc
(under the NetBSD/alpha floppies) you can (my example only - ymmv):

# ifconfig de0 192.168.1.9  (i assign 192.168.1.9 to the Multia ether)
# ftp 192.168.1.5           (the pc, I use for the Multia serial term)
# put fstab                 (move fstab from Multia to PC and 'vi' it)
# get fstab                 (note the next lines are from my Multia

# cat fstab
# Device            Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump   Pass#
/dev/da0b           none            swap    sw              0      0
/dev/da0a           /               ufs     rw              1      1
/dev/cd0c           /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

(note: there are some problems with vi and this ftp method (when running
under FreeBSD/alpha) will allow you to edit the configuration file for
building your kernel)

i hope this will help and i am sending a copy to the list, in case some
other folks would like to try this.. (smile) until the release is ready.

(fwiw) it works for me and here is my current header:

FreeBSD 3.0-19981124-SNAP #2: Sat Nov 28 17:01:57 GMT 1998
    root@multia.alienbabies.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/alienbabies

good luck and have fun, curtis

--
curtis - ufkartfm@pacific.net - site administrator for Nobody
      I want Nobody to control my life!  How about you?