Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:46:03 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 errors

On Oct 27,  9:12am, Charles Henrich wrote:
} On the subject of Re: de0 errors, Don Lewis stated:
}
} > On Oct 23,  7:51am, Matt Thomas wrote:
} > } Subject: Re: de0 errors
} > } At 12:57 AM 10/23/97 -0400, Charles Henrich wrote:
} > } >After moving to 2.2.5-RELEASE im seeing:
} > } >
} > } >Oct 23 00:32:12 msunews /kernel: ccd0-3: Concatenated disk drivers
} > } >Oct 23 00:35:45 msunews /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
} > } >(raising TX threshold to 96|256)
} > } >Oct 23 00:36:01 msunews /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
} > } >(raising TX threshold to 8|512)
} > } >Oct 23 00:37:41 msunews /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
} > } >(raising TX threshold to 1024)
} > } >Oct 23 00:55:14 msunews /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
} > } >(switching to store-and-forward mode)
} > } >
} > } >Any ideas?  Are these informational, or are they bad?
} > }
} > } they are informational.
} >
} > In the sense that everything is working, but if you're seeing transmit
} > underflows even when the TX threshold has been set to 1024, then I suspect
} > you'll have a real problem getting anywhere near full performance out
} > of the card.
}
} Can you suggest any debugging tips for isolating and fixing this problem?

A PCI bus analyzer could be useful if the problem is what I think it is.
What processor and PCI chipset do you have?

} Just using FTP between two hosts on the 100mbit net I see 2-3MB/sec and
} receive at about half that.

That's not very impressive.  To eliminate the influence of disk I/O, you
might want to test network throughput using ttcp or something similar.
I'd recommend using ping to check for packet loss at the same time.  You
shouldn't see any packet loss if you're sending between two machines on
the same network segment.

} However this system is also a very busy news
} server.

This might affect FTP throughput if the disks are busy, but I don't think
there should be too much effect on network throughput unless you're somehow
managing to get that 100Mb network pretty full.