Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 95 10:26 MSZ
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socks clients for 2.0.5R and 1.1.5.1R

In pcs.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hi,
>   I am after various socksified clients binaries for 1.1.5.1R and
>2.0.5R, and wonder if anyone has built such things, and willing to
>make them available.

None other than the standard clients and netscape.

>   Also, has anyone have any experience with using sockd with ipfw,
>tis fwtk, or tcp_wrapper on FreeBSD or using FreeBSD socksified
>clients with sockd on another box (be it FreeBSD or others) ?

I'm using sockd together with the tis fwtk with no problems at all.
The standard clients that come with socks work like a charm, Other than
that I've only tried netscape, since the CERN httpd in proxy mode seems
not to support secure connections :-( Using the socks proxy worked
like a charm.

>   Any comments/suggestions/advices and things to watch out for ?

I've not run into any interoperability problems between the fwtk and
socks yet and don't expect any, they are simply two different proxy
mechanisms that happen to run on the same host.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)