Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:13:29 +0900
From:      OKAZAKI Tetsurou <okazaki@be.to>
To:        andreas@FreeBSD.org, mita@jp.FreeBSD.org, cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org, nakai@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS resouce directory

Hi GS ports maintainers and users,

I have a request about some configuration issue common to all
Ghostscript ports but japanese/vfghostscript (which is based on gs-2.6.3.)

In the document "Finding PostScript Level 2 resources",
(${PREFIX}/share/ghostscript/#.##/doc/Use.htm#PS_resources) author says:

|  Ghostscript uses a completely different rule for looking for files containing
|  PostScript Level 2 "resources": per the Adobe documentation, it concatenates
|  together
|   1. the value of the system parameter GenericResourceDir (initially
|      /Resource/)
|   2. the name of the resource category (for instance, ProcSet)
|   3. the value of the system parameter GenericResourcePathSep (initially "/")
|   4. the name of the resource instance (for instance, CIDInit)
|
|  To look up fonts, after exhausting the search method described in the next
|  section, it concatenates together
|   1. the value of the system parameter FontResourceDir (initially
|      /Resource/Font/)
|   2. the name of the resource font (for instance, Times-Roman)

Above two system parameters, GenericResourceDir and FontResourceDir,
are defined in ${PREFIX}/share/ghostscript/#.##/gs_res.ps:

|  /FontResourceDir (/Resource/Font/) readonly .forcedef % pssys'params is r-o
|  /GenericResourceDir (/Resource/) readonly .forcedef   % pssys'params is r-o

Would you set these params to somewhere under the ${PREFIX}?
If you agree with me, how about changing each value as follows?
  /Resource/Font/ --> ${PREFIX}/share/postscript/Resource/Font/
  /Resource/      --> ${PREFIX}/share/postscript/Resource/

We have two solutions to enable above modifications, I think.
1. Use ${SED} or ${PERL} at post-install to modify `gs_res.ps' or,
2. Run following code fragments from `gs_init.ps'.
   (%%PREFIX%% is replaced with ${PREFIX}.)
---------------------
currentsystemparams
dup /FontResourceDir (%%PREFIX%%/share/postscript/Resource/Font/) put
dup /GenericResourceDir (%%PREFIX%%/share/postscript/Resource/) put
setsystemparams
---------------------

Affected ports are:
   print/ghostscript5