Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:52:23 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Warren Liddell <shinjii@maydias.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig query/dhclient

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 07:54:06PM +1000, Warren Liddell wrote:
> Im trying to find out how i can change my net card on re0 to be a
> 10BaseT full duplex instead of auto @ 100.

'ifconfig re0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex' should work.
(See the re(4) and ifconfig(8) manpages.)

Be aware that if you are forcing one end of the link to a specific mode
(instead of letting it auto-negotiate speed and duplex) you will normally
also have to force the other end of the link to the same settings.  Most
cheap (and some not-so-cheap) ethernet switches only support
auto-negotiation.

> Also trying to work out why when using dhclient fwe0 (presuming its
> my wireless card) it never gets a link .. is there more to getting a
> link with wireless?  there is no encryption.

fwe0 is not your wireless card. fwe(4) is for ethernet emulation over
FireWire (aka ieee1394). (As clearly described in the fwe(4) manpage.)

There are a large number of settings that can be used with wireless
connections.  See ifconfig(8) for the full list (look for references to
802.11).
A couple of settings that you will probably need to set are the mode (11a,
11b or 11g) as well as the SSID.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson