Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:13:03 +0200
From:      Romain =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tarti=E8re?= <romain@blogreen.org>
To:        freebsd-mono@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maintaining ports and mono

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

Hello all,

Catching up with the mail=E2=80=A6

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 06:07:19PM +0200, Mathieu Prevot wrote:
> This page was updated last in 2010:
> http://www.mono-project.com/archived/monofreebsd/

You are referring to the content of the old Mono website. It used to be
a Wiki, and was exported a long time ago, when the project switched to
GitHub.  I guess this page can be updated / removed by sending a PR to the
mono/website project.  It contains a great amount of outdated content,
more outdated content is available here as noted in a follow-up message:
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/bsd/

> I was reading the last 10 month archives, it seems not very active.

Indeed

> Who is interesting by running mono / roslyn / c# on FreeBSD ?

A few.  I don't have actual stats, freshports reports 56 accounts
following lang/mono which is however more than waht I though.

The next questions may help gather interesting inputs, let's answer
them!

> Who is doing c# development on any platform ?
> What are you platforms ? (dev and execution) ? What is your fields of
> activity ?
> Who might be interested by c# development / execution on FreeBSD?

I used to develop on FreeBSD a fat client program supposed to be run by
customers on their desktop computer (running Windows).  The server part
was not running on .Net, so the benefit I was after in regard to Mono
was the ability to develop on my platform of choice and then ship
software to our customers by sharing the very same binary (the "Write
once, run anywhere" thing).

Then I changed $WORK, and I don't write code that runs on a desktop
machine anymore.

BTW, I continue to think Mono on FreeBSD is a must have!

--=20
Romain Tarti=C3=A8re <romain@FreeBSD.org>  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~romai=
n/
pgp: 8234 9A78 E7C0 B807 0B59  80FF BA4D 1D95 5112 336F (ID: 0x5112336F)
(plain text =3Dnon-HTML=3D PGP/GPG encrypted/signed e-mail much appreciated)

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--