Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 21:15:18 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        pat bey <phaza7@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lan problem

[wrap your lines at about 75 characters or so ... your message is almost
impossible to read]

pat bey wrote:
> Can anyone help me solve this problem??
>
> I have two boxes win xp and FreeBSD 4.6 and a DLink 704P router which has built-in
 > nat and dhcp server. Here is a diagram of my setup.
>                                     -----------------------------
>                                    | dsl modem           |
>                                   -------------------------------
>                                   --------------------------------
>                                  | router                     |
>                                  -------------------------------
>                                        |                |
>        --------------------------------|                |------------------------------
>       |                                                                               |
> -----------------------                                                    -------------------------
> | Win XP box   |                                                    |  FBSD4.6 box   |
> ----------------------                                                     -------------------------
>
> I followed the online handbook to setup this box, everything is configured for dhcp.
 > Using the GENERIC kernel.  I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 & my nic
> which had 0% packet loss.  But when I try to ping the router I get a message of route
 > to host down.  I have Bind running as a caching server .  I updated the firmware for
 > a unix sys and I can't get out to the world from this box.  The windows box have no
 > problem getting out to the world.  On the router I have ports tcp,udp 20-2999 open
 > for both mac address.  The router sees both MAC's but the FBSD box can't even access
 > the routers web page.  I have another nic card should I install it and put the BSD
 > box in front of the router.  Or can anyone help me solve this problem.

Can you ping 192.168.0.105?

Can you ping the IP of the Win XP machine?

Do you have ICMP packets blocked on the "router"?

Are you pinging IP addys or names?  (start with IPs, once that works, then try names)

Can you post the output of 'netstat -rn'?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies