Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:03:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Brett Taylor wrote:

> You've suggested the following things that I remember recently:
>
> 	- that the Linux emulator has been bad for FreeBSD
>
> This is contrary to every person I've hooked on FreeBSD.  They appreciate
> the fact that its stable AND that they can run the preponderance of Linux
> apps that are available.

I know this is probably a bad thing to do without full body abestos.. but
I'd have to agree with the other Brett here, sorta.  I really think the
Linux emulator is nifty and a great tool and has been useful to me on a
few occasions (StarOffice5.. *drool*).  But conversly I think it has
overall been a bad thing for FreeBSD.  It discourages people from creating
native fbsd binaries.  Look at the blade mp3 encoder.  Instead of lobbying
the author to make a fbsd version once the BSD/OS one would no longer
work, many people instead said oh let's just use the Linux version.

You can stick your head in the sand a much as you want, but the sky still
hasn't fallen.

> 	- that the ports tree should support every version of FreeBSD

Again this would just rock, but it seems to me more like a pipe dream.
But what if fetch was made into a port?  This way things would be given a
fighting chance.  Besides how many ports that use flags that work only
with the new binutils would even work with a.out binaries?

> 	- that a FreeBSD emulator should be created for Linux in the hopes
> 	  that this would make people write directly for FreeBSD

<tongue implanted in cheek>

How about this.  Hack up a mini FreeBSD kernel to run under Win98 and
serve as a FreeBSD emulator for Win98?  Screw Win32! ;)
</tongue>

- alex