Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:23:31 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Rob <rob@roblytle.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem regarding setting DISPLAY env variable and hostname

On 2006-02-22 13:07, Rob <rob@roblytle.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:27:20 +0200
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>>> I have read manual pages, searched the archives, but I am really confused
>>> about all of this.  Thank you for any help.
>>
>> All this can be resolved by using `/etc/hosts'.  Just add your hostname
>> there and point it to the 127.0.0.1 address.  Then all programs should be
>> able to resolve it.
>
> Thanks Giorgios,
>
> I think that I have the hostname problem resolved.  rc.conf has
> hostname="xenon" and /etc/hosts has: 127.0.0.1 localhost xenon

That's quite fine :)

> So now Xorg does not give errors on startup or shutdown like the
> > > bad display name "xenon:0" in "remove" command    or
> > > bad display name "xenon:0  in "list" command
>
> But when not setting the DISPLAY variable explicitely anywhere I still
> get the error: "out of display lists" upon starting the program I want
> from xterm
>
> But then setting DISPLAY=xenon:0.0 export DISPLAY and then executing
> the program then gives the error:
>
> "Can't open display: xenon:0.0"   so I guess I am back to square one.
>
> Maybe I should call it a day and rest, haha.

Just a wild guess, since I don't see why you should have problems
running programs like:

    Can't open display: xenon:0.0

Are you running X11 as a plain user and having problems to run programs
*after* using su(1) to become root or does this happen for all users in
all terminals?

- Giorgos