Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:13:44 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off Topic Solaris question

keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:

> I know this is TOTALY off topic but since I've had zero response from the
> 'Solaris on Intel' list, I'll post here in hopes that someone here has had
> some experience in this area.
> I'm looking into learning Solaris and can't at the time aquire an actual
> sun machine to do it. I have a spare P333 laying around that I'd like to
> use for this.
> My question is this. How different is the x86 version of Solaris from the
> version that runs on an actual Sun machine? I'd hate to waste my
> time learning it on x86 and have little or none of it port over to a true
> sun box when I get around to purchasing one. Obviously there would be
> hardware naming differences but other then that is it the same? Thanks for
> any reply.
>
> Keith

I don't see how there would be much of a difference other than the
device entries, and how X-Windows is setup. Maybe a few other suttle
differences, but to be honest with you I've never used Solaris x86, only
Solaris/Sparc and even then I don't care for it.
	I've been running OpenBSD/sparc for a while now, and pending some
better binary compatability with Solaris, I may switch all of our
Sparcstations over to OpenBSD. Though to be fair, I have yet to try
Solaris 2.7/Solaris 8. I doubt theres much improvement from 2.6 though
and to be frank I just don't want to bother with Solaris anymore.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com