Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:50:06 -0500
From:      Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater@gto.net>
To:        Andrew Hall <halla3@corp.earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.5 and 5.3

Andrew Hall wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a few questions about jdk and 5.3.
>
> 1. If one does a src compile, it requires that the linux-sun-jdk to be
> installed to bootstrap the compile of native jdk.
>
> Why would freebsd not use a binary version of it's own native jdk to
> bootstrap itself?  If that's not feasible, then why would the jdk port
> not immediately remove all the linux crap that it installs if its not
> needed?  If something is only temporary, then it should be removed
> immediately after use right :)?

Sun's licensing terms do not allow the distribution of a binary jdk. The
FreeBSD Foundation pushed long and hard to get a license to distribute
the diablo-jdk13. I don't know why there hasn't been a diablo-jdk14
released, but I can only assume it involves Sun.

> 2. Where did the browser plugin go?  In 1.3 and 1.4 I symlinked
> /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so to what ever jdk I
> was using.  For example:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
> /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> But in 1.5 I don't see this .so, nor does the plugin directory even
> exist.  Is there a new way I am not aware of?

The jdk1.5 port is very young, the patchset-1 was only announced on the
19th:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-January/003376.html

Plugin support was not included with this patchset. Please be patient,
the jdk is big and the team porting it is very small.

> 3. Since the linux jdk is not necessary, is there an easy way to get a
> list of everything that was installed as the req for the native jdk
> compile so I may remove it all (and its deps)?

pkg_delete knows what to remove and will do as it's told if you pass the
-f argument. Read the available documentation before proceeding.

--
Jeremy Faulkner	<gldisater@gto.net>