Date:      24 Jul 1995 23:05:01 +0200
From:      knarf@nasim.cube.net (Frank Bartels)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diffs and checksums

Satoshi Asami (asami@cs.berkeley.edu) wrote:

> I mean we put tarfiles that have been znew --best'd on wcarchive, and
> every mirror site will pick them up.  So the CPU is used only on one
> site (probably thud), and all the mirror sites can save space.  How's
> that now? :)

Yes, but every machine who wants to build the port will need more CPU
time also. I was always happy with gzip's standard compression, with
--best you need much more CPU for much less efficiency (compared
compress and gzip for example). But if you really prefer --best, I can
live with that. ;)

> (3) Joe user sups ports/games/coolgame again (probably a nightly sup),
>     the original file has changed without name change and there is a
>     new pre-install target.

You are right. I did not think about sup (don't use it yet). I still
use `mirror' for /usr/ports and let it delete all files.

Hmm, and now? What shall we do?

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |    UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593     | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!