Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 06:35:05 -0400
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Christopher Johnson <cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports tarball location

On Thu, 04 May 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Christopher Johnson wrote:
> While setting up a friend's FreeBSD 4.0 machine, we didn't download the
> ports collection as part of the install process (he's got some wierd
> thing going with his Win98 partition[1]).  I haven't been able to find the
> tarball on the ftp site or any mention through the FAQ or handbook, could
> someone post the location of the ports tarball?

Boot FreeBSD and run /stand/sysinstall. Select 'Configure',
'Distributions' and 'Ports'.

> Chris Johnson
> cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu
>
> [1] He's paranoid about disk space, and wants /usr/ports on the Win98
> partition.  It's a shame, because the bare ports tree grows from 70MB to
> nearly 1.5 GB, due to the 16K FAT32 minimum filesize.

It's not really /ports that grows, but rather /ports/distfiles with the
tarballs that are downloaded when doing installs. You can keep it
trimmed down by deleting these files after your port install. I suppose
you could link /ports/distfiles to a directory on your Windows slice.

Walter Brameld

Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
Walter:    And what does THIS button do??