Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:29:06 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubleshooting a USB Bluetooth Dongle

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com> wrote=
:
>>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:36:56 -0700, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to find a working bluetooth dongle or get the one I have
>>> working. I purchased a =EF=BB=BFASUS USB-BT211 [1] which is cheap but i=
s not
>>> picked up by FreeBSD. All of the bluetooth devices mentioned on the
>>> website are not manufactured any more and I was hoping to be able to
>>> utilize something more recent. So, if anyone can recommend a recent
>>> device like the above or how I can assist in troubleshooting the device
>>> I purchased, I would appreciate any feedback.
>>
>> i assume that you have kldload(8)ed ng_ubt(4) driver, correct?
>>
>> if you did, and it still does not work, then could you please dump usb
>> descriptor for the device? quick google search suggests that at least
>> some of those adapters are based on atheros ar3011 chip (vendor/device
>> id 0x0cf3/0x3000) , and require firmware download. basically, very
>> similar to a certain broadcom chip, for which we have ubtbcmfw(4)
>> driver.

[...]

thanks for the information

> =EF=BB=BFNov  2 16:08:02 tethys root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0cf3 p=
roduct
> 0x3000 bus uhub8
> Nov  2 16:08:02 tethys kernel: ugen3.3: at usbus3
>
> Which doesn't give me much.  Doing a config dump:

i disagree :) it gives you vendor/device id pair which is
0x0cf3/0x3000. in other words, your adapter is based on atheros ar3011
chip and will require a special (new) driver that would download
firmware. ubtbcmfw(4) will not work, because its for broadcom chip. i
only mentioned this because it would be similar, but not the same :)

[...]

> So, any suggestions on where to go next?

1) need to write a special ubtathfw(4) driver;

2) obtain firmware (i assume it would be on a cd that came with the dongle)=
;

the good thing is that linux 2.6.33.7 kernel already has firmware
driver, so, it makes it easier to port. i can probably take a stab at
it, but, without device, you would have to test it (and likely to
crash your machine several times :) are you up for it?

thanks,
max