Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:01:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, esperti@gufi.org
Subject:   Re: VPN, mpd-netgraph, FreeBSD, win95

On 25-Sep-2001 (18:19:50/GMT) Joe Clarke wrote:

> You're trying to get all of your remote Windows machines to access
> _all_ of your internal hosts by name and address, correct?

Yes, I need this because server-farm subnet and some important
host are on remote (from firewall) networks.

> my Windows clients use the default route from the PPTP gateway.

I have this line "set ipcp dns 192.168.1.1" to enable DNS _BUT_
our dns in on a different subnet from firewall and  win clients
are unable to reach dns even with ping without adding manually
this route:
C:\# route add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.254.254 metric 1

I'd like a default gateway pointing to internal-side of pptp link,
but with w95 I got and empty "default gateway" after connecting, on
the winipcfg-ppp-vpn-adapter, and trying "netstat -rn" from the dos
command line give me two line "0.0.0.0" (default) pointed back to
ISP side of ppp link.

A friend of mine tell me about "profiles" under win, to force some
parameters like default gateway and dns on the ppp connection.
What do you think?  Have you any experience about this?
As last resort I can create a script to add needed routes after
successfull VPN handshake, but DNS problem remain, and I dislike
to add out machines on local hosts file (to >>100 laptops)...

> When data cannot be sent on the local (non-VPN) network, it is
> sent over the VPN connection.  Now, this is available on Windows
> 2000.  I haven't look at Win 95 DUN 1.3 in a while.

Tomorrow I'll test a w98 and wnt client, cross your fingers...

> I use the set ipcp dns command to pass DNS, and it works with my
> 98 and 2000 clients.  I don't think I have any running 95.

It (seems to) works even with w95 _BUT_ ISP-DNS obtained from DHCP
are in front of mine, so I am unable to resolve my internal names.

Any more help, hints, tip&trick or voodoo will be apreciated  :-)

Thanks again,
Riccardo.