Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Alpha <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PC164SX/booting the floppy

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> You said you found the option to swap it to the SRM console.  If that
> worked, you should have a command prompt.  If not, then you need to get
> the bits out of my alpha archive on www.freebsd.org and flash the SRM
> firmware into your machine.

The GUI gave me an option to change to the SRM console with no command
line appearing.  Should that have happened?  Here's what I did:

I have a screen before me, entitled "AlphaBIOS Setup".  I chose an
option labelled "CMOS Setup".  In that subscreen, the 5th and last
option is "Console Selection", and the area for entry is a pulldown
option list, of which one is "Digital UNIX Console (SRM)".  I chose
that, no command line involved.  Didn't need to use the floppy that I'd
already downloaded and prepared to use.

When I let the boot go without any intervention, the GUI disappears, the
screen *does* go to black and white, but it only gives me an up/down
arrow option to choose the operating system to start, and the only
system listed is "Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"

Back in the GUI, one of the options on the main screen is "Utilities",
which leads to a suboption of "OS Selection Setup".  If you choose that,
here's the screen you see:

Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00	Primary Operating System

[20 lines blank]

Boot Name:  Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00
Boot File:  A:					\os\winnt40\osloader.exe
OS Path:    CD:					\WINNT
OS Options:

This is, I think, all the pertinent info, the rest is about my
scsi setup, net setup, etc.  Don't you have something like this?
You have a PC164SX too, right?  I get the idea I can add extra OSs to
choose from here.  Still don't see any command prompt anywhere.

This says it's got AlphaBIOS version 5.62-1.

> --
> \\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |