Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 21:44:50 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail black lists such as ORBS/ORBZ etc

Dan Langille wrote:
> Given the increase in spam levels over the past 6 months or so, I'm
> surprised that nobody has stepped forward to fund real time black lists
> such as ORBS/ORBZ.  Why is that?
>
> Do people see them as unworthy projects?  Not worth funding?  Or is there
> just no funding available?

Blacklists are illegal, under the RICO anti-racketeering
statutes, which were intended to prevent organized crime.

The "ORBS" nad the "MAPS RBL" do not claim to be blacklists;
they specifically go out of their way to ensure that they
are opt-in, and that they otherwise do not meet the legal
definition of a blacklist.

However...MAPS has been to court on a number of occasions
anyway, since you can sue anyone for anything.  The results
of these suits are listed at:

	http://mail-abuse.org/

MAPS is not-for-profit.  They get donations, and they have a
subscription service which is, I believe, donation based.

-- Terry