Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:52:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Ringuette <wintermute@imeme.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about possibly additions to TOP

The real aim, btw, of moving to sysctl was to allow top (and the other
utilities) without any extra privilege -- be it setuid, setgid kmem, etc.
This had a number of added benefits, including allowing the policy for
process/information visibility to be determined entirely in the kernel
(required for our modular access control framework in TrustedBSD), let it
run in jail, gradually deprecate kvm for statistics reporting, etc.