Date:      Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:37:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Deepak Naidu <deepak_nai@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Nagios Client on FreeBSD 5.4

Right Mike, this is what exactly I want.  More details are

I have LVS server in Linux, installed with Nagios.  I have 5 spam servers and 5 IMAP and POP servers, from which 2 spam servers are FreeBSD 5.4.  I have been monitoring them through Linux nagios, and running nrpe on clients.

But now for FreeBSD, I hope for SMTP check or MailQ I dont need any installation of nagios client(plugin) right ?

If I want to monitor load, disk space, http etc service I have install entire nagios package or nagios-statsd, or plugins ?

Thanx for any info.

Cheers,
Deepak Naidu

Mike Woods <Mike@the-rubber-chicken-network.co.uk> wrote:
Deepak Naidu wrote:

> Hi, I wanted to install nagios client on FreeBSD 5.4. I want to
> monitor my SMTP (25) and disk usage etc to be monitored from Nagios
> server installed on Linux box.
>
> How do I do... In linux there is Nagios-Client.rpm. What is the
> alternative on FreeBSD
>
> I dont want the server, I just wnat to monito my FreeBSD 5.4 host.

I know this has already been addresses by others but i have another
answer :)

If im reding you right you have a linux box setup with nagios and you
want to monitor services on a remote freebsd box ?

SMTP wont be an issue, that can be monitored with check_smtp as someone
has already suggested, local stats like disk usage can be monitored a
number of ways, personaly i've found nrpe (nagios remote plugin
executor), nrpe basicly allows you to execute nagios check plugins over
a network/the internet, it's in ports (2 versions depending on which
version of nagios you have installed) and it'll install the
nagios-plugins package as a dependancy, once it's installed you can
configure the commands nrpe will answer and these commands in turn call
a nagios plugin.

Jobs-a-goodun :P