Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:15:42 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This is a cool shell prompt question

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:24:51 -0800 (PST), Mark Jayson Alvarez
<jay2xra@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good day!
>  I'm just wondrin if its possible for me to run
> applications at boot time but on another terminal. I
> find it cool to have a huge digital clock (grdc)
> running on background so that I can just shift to
> another terminal whenever I want to know the time.
> Actually, all I really want is a clock that is
> continuously ticking whatever I may be doing(in
> terminal window). I've already learned how to set my
> prompt to multiple lines and also displaying my
> current working directory. But now, I want it even
> more informative displaying a ticking digital clock in
> my shell prompt like the one i'm seeing in my kde
> system tray right now.
>    Is it possible?. Thanks.

Depending on which shell you're using, I'd say yes, since just about
anything is possible under Unix.  :-)

However, how to do this is not immediately obvious to me.  Sorry.  :-)

Might be a good question for the comp.unix.shell newsgroup.  Some
serious shell gurus hanging out over there, and they always rise to a
good challenge. :-)

If you do find out anything, a followup here would be nice.  Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"