Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 96 13:33:29 MDT
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: request for a new "feature" as regards DDB

>> I disagree completely.  If my machine dies in the middle of the night,
>> I want to come in the next morning and be able to debug the live
>> hardware, not a dump.  YMMV, but we should have the option.
>
> However, there's a corrolary:
>
> If your machine dies in the middle of the night (or when you're in
> front of it, for that matter) and *you're sitting in the X server*
> then you should be given a dump if you're not configured for a serial
> console because we know that there's no way in hell you're going to be
> debugging any live hardware.

We haven't done that one to death yet :-)

> A dump is the best you can ask for under those circumstances.

If a dump is the best you can hope for, then you shouldn't have to
even ask.  Even if we can only change back to character mode 98% of
the time, the other 2% (at least) should give you a dump.  Of course,
if there's a timeout, that would handle it.

> Assuming that the same interface which the VT_GETACTIVE ioctl()
> uses is available for determining if "curvty = vty0", it seems you
> should be able to avoid going into DDB interaction mode if it's
> not possible to do anything else.  You can simply call panic.

Sounds reasonable.  I'll take a look at it.

Greg