Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 02:20:12 -0700
From:      general@dubparts.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient getting infinite IPs?

I have a Belkin 802.11g router (model F5D-7230-4) and my freebsd 4.7 server
connected to it.  Everything was working fine, but I moved and changed
ISPs.  I'm not aware of anything that has changed in the configuration on
the server since I moved.

I have the router setup for DHCP and I'm having a heck of a time getting my
server to obtain an IP "properly".

In /etc/rc.conf there is:

         ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

When I try:

         /sbin/dhclient fxp0

it gets an actual IP address, but it keeps getting multiple IPs from the
router over and over again.  It tells me each IP address, subnet, gateway,
etc as it gets them, but if I let it go on, it will keep getting them
forever.  (e.g it obtains 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, and so on).

Looking at the DHCP client list on the router, shows indeed that these IPs
have been assigned, but mysteriously the MAC addresses are all listed as
"00:00:00:00:00:00".

After this infinite IP obtaining goes on for awhile, I do a hard break
(CTRL+C) to end it.  I do an "ifconfig" and it shows that is either has the
first IP it obtained or the last one (it varies over the times I've
repeated this).  However, it really is not connected to the network at all,
and i can't do anythign with the server.

I tried a google search on this without any luck.... anyone have any advice
or tips?