Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:37:35 -0600
From:      Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ksh history

If anyone is using ksh as their shell and gets .sh_history to be used,
please
let me know how.
I set the HISTFILE environment variable in my .profile.
Something like typeset -x HISTFILE=~/.sh_history
I even tried creating the file with touch, to see if that would "prime"
it.
It's a no go for me.

Also, when using vi as the editor, can you use the arrow keys to
backtrack through
history? I have to use "k", as in vi, which is ok, but on Solaris at
work, I can
use either one and I use whatever my fingers reach first. The
translation is handled
by PC-Xware, so that is obviously "cheating" .