Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:54:38 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dumb terminal on db9 serial port

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Claude Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG> wrote:
>
> > PC DB9                                 Terminal DB25
> > RxD   Receive Data        2 <-- 2      TxD   Transmit Data
> > TxD   Transmit Data       3 --> 3      RxD   Receive Data
> > SG    Signal Ground       5 --- 7      SG    Signal Ground
> > CTS   Clear To Send       8 <--20      DTR   Data Terminal Ready
> > RTS   Request To Send     7 --> 6      DSR   Data Set Ready
>
> I think BSD expects DCD to be active. A local bridge DTR->DCD should
> do. The terminal also may require DCD to be active.

	I'm coming into this late, so pardon me if I'm off base here. If you're
trying to set up a standard serial terminal for freebsd all you need are
Tx, Rx (crossed of course) and SG. We have at least a dozen machines set
up this way, and it works just fine.

	In a standard null modem cable you would connect CTS to RTS, and DTR to
DSR, not the way you have it here. The fact that you're crossing some
wrong pins may account for your prolbems.

	Aside from the annoying graphics,
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2250/pinout.html is a good
guide for all of this.

HTH,

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.