Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:14:45 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Nick Jones <njones@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, wmoran@iowna.com, adrian@mugnolo.com
Subject:   Re: Q: upgrade from 4.0-RELEASE

Nick Jones wrote:

> * Bill Moran (wmoran@iowna.com) wrote:
> >
> > Since nobody else has replied yet ...
> >
> > I don't believe it's possible to upgrade straight from 4.0 to 4.3. I think
> > you have to go to 4.1.1 first or something, however I don't know the
> > details. A search of the mailing list archives may prove helpful, or
> > someone else on the list may have more details.
> >
> > Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this (anyone?)
> >
> > -Bill
> >
> > Adrian Mugnolo wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is there a reasonable way to upgrade systems running 4.0-RELEASE?  I've
> > > synced the sources but I've repeatedly encountered compilation problems
> > > while building world.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >

> Hmmm, I successfully upgraded a box running 4.0-RELEASE to 4.3-STABLE not more than a couple of weeks ago, and the entire process completed without running into any difficulties.
>
> Maybe the problems experienced aren't 4.0-RELEASE specific?

Well, just last Friday I tried to upgrade a FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE system
4-STABLE and neither the buildworld nor the buildkernel worked.
Buildkernel died trying to find osreldate.h, buildworld died looking for
some function in libc (unfortunatly I can't remember exactly what it
was).

I even installed the port system patch from 4.1 to -STABLE remembering
that some of those patches upgraded libc as well.  Naturally it didn't
help.

Eventually, I just gave up and finally hunted down my 4.3 CD (someone
had borrowed it).  4.3 upgrades to -STABLE with no issues.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer