Date:      Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:49:54 -0500
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <skywizard@MyBSD.org.my>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, mat@cnd.mcgill.ca
Subject:   Re: Massive sound changes / fix (24/32bit pcm support, new sampling rate converter, various fixes)

--------------enig685AAE55A6E5B9FD550E9024

On 07/09/05 16:15, Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:59:37 -0500
> Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
>>The _real_ credit for my locking work goes to the horrible
>>interactivity  problems that plagued -CURRENT about a year ago.
>>Adding locking to the  driver was a desperate attempt to get sound
>>without pauses...
>
> Plus, I've added hw.snd.pcm<unit>.latency_timer to reduce any
> crackling noise down to nil (pciconf -w just too cryptic for that).
> This really improve situation especially with VIA motherboard and
> perhaps, others too.

I don't experience crackling but I have an Intel motherboard (Gigabyte
GA-8IHXP(2.1)).  Good to know it's there in case I need it...

>>I don't know if you've touched the man pages at all, but my latest
>>patch  includes a man page update for the spdif sysctl:
>>http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/es137x.diff
>
> Currently I haven't touched any man pages at all. Can you do separate
> patches for that? There are few new sysctls need to be documented,
> perhaps you can do that too.
>
> 	es137x:
> 		1) hw.snd.pcm<unit>.latency_timer
> 		   - PCI latency timer adjustment. Most pops /
> 		     crackling issue can be solved by adjusting it to
> 		     appropriate value (especially on VIA mobo).
>
>         General Sound Driver:
> 		1) hw.snd.feeder_rate_ratemin/ratemax
> 		   - Minimum / Maximum allowable rate
> 		2) hw.snd.feeder_rate_scaling
>                    - Rate conversion precision / quality
> 		     (Most of the options already explained in
> 		      feeder_rate.c)
> 		3) hw.snd.feeder_rate_buffersize
>                    - Buffer space for rate converter

I'll update the es137x man page and post a patch for you, but the
general page probably deserves more in-depth discussion than I can provide.

> There are few LORs (during boot) with this much integrated es137x
> (which I do believe false positives). Perhaps you can reproduce
> it by enabling WITNESS?
>
> http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/LOR/es137x_lor.txt
> (This is slightly outdated, some of it have bean dealt with)

I'll try to reproduce this with WITNESS.

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195