Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:21:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        David Polak <me@davidpolak.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE getting terrible throughput using sk0 adapter

> still seeing really slow download speeds. I then decided to see if something
> was wrong with the system by downloading the same image from the same source
> that I downloaded on linux in order to bootstrap freebsd and the speed
> difference was appaling. It had downloaded at 10.29 MB/s. Once freebsd was
> installed, It will only go at 60KB/s..

looks like problems with speed/duplex autoconfiguration with the switch,
or bad support for PHY in FreeBSD.

what you describe is quite common case when one side gets configured for
full duplex, other for half duplex.

as it works for linux, maybe PHY support in FreeBSD is buggy.

try setting up speed and duplex options manually