Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:59:16 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

In message <3C57C25C.4C1EB64D@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:

>Poul, let me get this straight: people who use FreeBSD code
>for uses other than what you personally use it for, and
>people who take subsets of that code instead of taking the
>code on an all or nothing basis like you appear to want can
>"Bugger off"?

No, but if we phrase it like this:

People who want to use source code from FreeBSD on other systems
or in other contexts than FreeBSD will have to do whatever it
takes to do that.  It is not FreeBSD's objective to stay
diff(1) or even cc(1) compatible with every oddball platform
in the world.

>PS: "Terry's set of problems" includes being able to diff
>FreeBSD code and NetBSD and OpenBSD code, as well as being
>able to diff new FreeBSD code against old FreeBSD code, and
>get something other than 400MB of cosmetic changes to header
>files and function prototypes.

More able hackers use scripts to deal with that problem.

If you cared to think rather than preach you would quickly realize
that it is simple to add __P() to prototyped include files with a
script before you run diff(1).

Another useful method is keeping a "baseline patch" around which
contains already looked over diffs and apply that in reverse before
diff'ing.

Finally you would have more time to read your 400MB of diffs if
you didn't wast so much time filling hot air into emails.

Over and out...