Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:36:25 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New user questions :)

Jorn Argelo wrote:
> Graham Bentley wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
> Install the ports tree, use CVSUP to get the latest version of the ports
> tree (if you don't know how to do that, go to the FreeBSD website and
> search the handbook)
>

>> Heres my immediate shortlist :-
>>
>> Setting up DHCP for LAN Clients
>>

> cd /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3-server && make all install clean
> Last time I played with DHCP I didn't had too much success, but I was
> still a complete *nix newbie back then. Ever since I'm just using the
> DHCP server of my router.

This is a sample config for /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf:

# change this to your own valid setting
option domain-name "yourdomain.com";

#change the below to a valid name server address
option domain-name-servers 111.222.333.444;

default-lease-time 86400;
max-lease-time 2592000;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
authoritative;

# ad-hoc DNS update scheme - set to "none" to disable dynamic DNS
#updates.
ddns-update-style none;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
log-facility local7;

#The below uses an address pool of 172.16.1.100 to 172.16.1.199 - 99
#addresses leaving all the others in this class C range for static
#allocation (network printers, anything else that needs to be
#in the same place always). Change it if you need more addresses
#or want to use a different range.

subnet 172.16.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   range 172.16.1.100 172.16.1.199;
   option routers 172.16.1.1;
   option broadcast-address 172.16.1.255;
   default-lease-time 600;
   max-lease-time 7200;
}

>> Setting up Samba to Share Files on a Wingroup
>>

> cd /usr/ports/net/samba && make all install clean
>
>> Setting up a print server for Winclients
>>

> cd /usr/ports/print/cups && make all install clean
> Do note that the configuration of cups can be bit tricky. I never got
> cups fully up and running.

The biggest prob I've had with cups on FreeBSD is that the BSD lp and
lpd are still in /usr/bin, and the cups versions are in /usr/local/bin,
which usually comes later in your search paths. The consequence is that
cups seems OK, localhost:631 displays the cups management interface in a
web browser on the cups server, test pages print OK from this web
interface, but applications don't print at all and command line lp tests
just whinge about being unable to find a running print server. One fix
is to back up the BSD versions and soft link the cups versions to /usr/bin

#mv /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp.bak
#mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.bak
#ln -s /usr/local/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp
#ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr

and then add the following to /etc/make.conf:

NO_LPR= true
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes

Samba can also use the standard BSD spooler for sharing printers, but a
properly set up cups is more automagic.

It's also worth installing gimp-print for a larger range of printer drivers.

>> Using Samba as a Virtual CD-ROM Server
>>

> I suppose that is just a matter of configuring Samba.

Yes, just make a share for the cdrom mount points in the usual way.

Peter.