Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:52:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Peterman <cjp@sandbox.sandstorm.net>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Athlon-4 Based Laptops

I recently picked up a cheapo HP laptop which was born with
a slight defect of character, it was running WindoxsWP.  I played
with that OS for a bit, while waiting for the 4.5 ISO's to download
The defect was quickly resolved with a pair of 4.5 floppies.

After installation, I noticed that the laptop was running hotter
than when it was running its previous OS.  Considerably hotter, even
the screen was hot  and I was using consoles, not X. I had enabled APM via
/stand/sysinstall. The only visible fan, which spun under the previous OS,
is still.

Has anyone else on the list had similar problem with Athlon-4 based
laptops in specific or HP laptops in general?  Does using console mode
cause laptop screens to overheat? Am I missing something additional
that I should do to the APM setup?

Thanks in advance,

Charles Peterman