Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:31:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
Cc:        Chris Botha <jc-botha@cedar.org.za>
Subject:   RE: Many Users, Switchover

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Remko Lodder wrote:

> Hi
>
> Within my personal experience *BSD (thus FreeBSD) can do everything your
> linux box can, and more,
This is absolutely true, but depending on the number of users you
should be careful about just tearing a working system down.
Things that work out of the box with let's say 30 users might
need some more subtle handling with 800 (this is my own
experience).
If - for example - one of your services on your old machine lacks
performance, it might be a good idea to just transfer this
service to your new FreeBSD server. So you can collect experience
with FreeBSD and improve your network.

> Last year I started off with RH 8. I got a new server for the student campus
> and would like to install something ells than RH8 due that they have
> privatised. But I do have my concerns. How would FreeBSD integrate into a
> windows environment?
If you are thinking of samba and gatewaying/proxying: very well.
Windows users won't see a difference.

> databasing with
> MySQL,
Front-ends like mysqlcc and phpmyadmin are available via  ports.

Regards,

Uli.

	|    Peter Ulrich Kruppa    |
        |         Wuppertal         |