Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:36:07 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Open Watcom compiler

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > If you were to make the compiler run native on FreeBSD x86 as a
> > result of a "cd /usr/ports/tools/xxx; make all install", I would
>
> That's my intention. I don't know yet how easy or complex the
> bootstrap will be so I have to be careful with promises.

Careful!  This is the Alpha mailing list!  I said I was willing
to scratch an x86 box.  I'm not willing to scratch my one Alpha
box.  Just making sure you are aware of what I'm willing to
offer.

If you need it done for Alpha, and can get someone to make an
ssh into one available, such that I can do build worlds, I'm
willing to do Alpha, but I don't have local resources for this
type of experiment with an Alpha.  I expect both will be needed,
eventually, and I'm willing to do Alpha, too under that condition
(or even Alpha first).

> Fair enough. I think it's reasonable to flag certain things as
> compiler must-haves and see if the compiler guys buy into it.
>
> > You will also need to support alignment
> > and structure packing primitives, so device driver code does not
> > have to be rewritten as pure assembly.
>
> IIRC packing is already present and I expect alignment to be
> there as well, but cannot recall if I used it before.

I expect that it will "fall out", automatically.  If the thing
supports "#pragma pack(1)", I can always use that, and manually
add spare fields and deal with byte arrays myself by overdeclaring
and manual pointer fixup, even though that's kind of a kludge.

-- Terry