Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:44:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Nathan V. Patwardhan" <nvp@mediaone.net>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a cable modem with FreeBSD

> How would I go by setting up the cable modem with the dhcp client?  What
> information would I need from the ISP?  Currently I have cable internet
> service through MeidaOne here in Los Angeles.

See my original material for what to build/install:

> >Definitely!  I'm doing it now -- I've got a static name and dynamic
> >(or so they say) IP.  You'll probably need to use a dhcp client of
> >some sort.  I'm currently using the wide-dhcp package, although I'm
> >likely to switchover to ISC's dhcp-2.0 package when the actual 2.0
> >release comes out.  In any case, both of these dhcp clients are
> >available as ports and packages under FreeBSD.

Basically, you're going to do <dhcp client name> <ethernet device>.

All you need to do is compile a kernel with the following:
    - support for your ethernet card
    - support for Berkeley Packet filtering (bpf)
    - reboot new kernel
    - make new bpf devices in /dev (/dev/MAKEDEV bpf[0-x]).  I have 16
      (0-15) bpf entries in /dev.  Your mileage may vary.
    - run dhcp_client ethernet_device
    - you should be all set!

In the future, you might want to group reply when you've got a
question about someone's followup; that way, answers will return to
the list, will be archived to help other people, etc.  Thanks!

--
Nate Patwardhan, System Administrator
O'Reilly and Associates