Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:33:30 -0500
From:      Michael Remski <michaelremski@ellacoya.com>
To:        Dave Hostetler <dbhost@brokersys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  What are the differences? (long)

Well, coming from a former Linux user,  the differences may not be as
big as one would expect.  A major difference is that FreeBSD is actually
Unix (can trace it's origins back to AT&T), whereas Linux is technically
a POSIX compliant, Unix work-alike.  That said, who cares.  They both
work and feel like a Unix system, GNU software comes with/runs on
either, FreeBSD can run native Linux executables, and perhaps most
importantly, are infinitely more stable than anything that has ever come
out of Redmond.  The other major difference is what I call the "inherent
philosophy" of the two.  FreeBSD (OpenBSD and NetBSD also) thinks more
as a "whole" when you upgrade.  Basically, from whatever your starting
point, you get the latest source and rebuild and reinstall the world.  A
little scary the first time you realize that you are replacing the
kernel, and almost all of the utilities that are normally used.  This is
in contrast to Linux, which is technically just the kernel source
trademarked Linus Torvalds, with a lot of GNU software put together.
Upgrading the kernel or a specific piece can lead to some interesting
times finding out that now you need a newer version of this lib which
breaks that thing, unless I get this version ...

I must warn you though:  I was a Linux user for about 5 years and
decided to see what FreeBSD was about.  So now I am completely FreeBSD,
no more Linux.  Both work well, try them both, keep whichever you like
better.

"To keep in silence our designs, my friends would think I was a nut"

	Peter Gabriel, Solsbury Hill

Ellacoya Networks, Inc.          michaelremski@ellacoya.com
Suite 207
7 Henry Clay Dr.                 603-577-5544 x241
Merrimack, NH 03054