Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:14:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qualcomm popper

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 10 Sep 98, at 7:42, Sasha Egan wrote:
>
> > Ok I have another question that I hope someone can answer, it's about my
> > qualcomm popper.  I know that it is insecure so please don't bomb my
> > machine...thanks.
>
> A question for the list: Are you sure it's insecure?  Isn't the latest
> version fine now?

Last I heard 2.53 still had buffer overuns.

> > Anyway I am getting wierd errors from one of my clients to the effect of
> > "no RCPT(recipient)", which there is, I have double checked and it's not
> > my sendmail cause I can send it manually by telneting to port 25. But here
> > is where my real concern starts to pop up.  On the server I get an error
> > so frequently that it's flooding my logs.
> >
> > <date and time> dax popper[pid]: (v2.53) Unable to get cannonical name of
> > client, err = 0
>
> This is a FAQ.  It's a DNS issue.  I solved the same problem some time
> again.  It's in my diary.  The following link might help you:
>
> http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd/localnames.htm

hmmmm...I read your logs and I double checked the clients IP in both my
IN A and IN PTR records no dice...either it's not the client that is
making the errors or I have two problems - one client isn't resolving, and
another can't send mail.  It's the one who can't send mail that is giving
me a headache.  Everytime she tries to send a message it comes back with
'NO RCPT' and then queues the message till later.  She is using Eudora and
I have triple checked the setup to make sure that it is right, which it
is.    Very befoozled here.

Thanks for the sugestions so far, does anyone have anything else up their
sleeves?

Hasta

SAsha