Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:38:09 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Peter Gregorc <peter@paranoid-zine.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nat exclusion?

On Nov 2, 2005, at 4:09 PM, Peter Gregorc wrote:
> My config is like this:
> ADSL MODEM BSD WS1 WS2 WS3
>  |     |    |   |   |   |
>  ________________________  (switch or hub-doesn't matter)
>
> I've got a /30 class subnet from my ISP. What i want to do is:
>  -my BSD should start a PPPoE connection with my ISP
>  -one of the IPs from /30 should be used by BSD
>  -the 2nd of the IPs should be used by WS1
>  -WS2 and WS3 have local IP's and should have full access to internet
>  (NAT via BSD).

If you've got a /30 subnet, you've most probably got one usable
routable public IP, and the other IP is going to be used by the
router IP for your ISP.  Secondly, if you're going to want to NAT
inside workstations, you need to have two NIC's in your BSD machine,
one connected to the ADSL modem, and one connected to your internal
LAN, using natd or whatever to do NAT...

--
-Chuck