Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:13:37 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        David Allen <the.real.david.allen@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc scripts

--On Friday, June 27, 2008 14:11:55 -0700 David Allen
<the.real.david.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to an '-s' flag to the execution of openntpd's rc script:
>
>    # PROVIDE: openntpd
>    # REQUIRE: DAEMON
>    # BEFORE:  LOGIN
>    # KEYWORD: nojail
>
>    . /etc/rc.subr
>
>    name=openntpd
>    rcvar=`set_rcvar`
>    command=/usr/local/sbin/ntpd
>    required_files=/usr/local/etc/ntpd.conf
>    openntpd_enable=${openntpd_enable:-"NO"}
>    load_rc_config $name
>    run_rc_command "$1"
>
> The problems I'm having are multiple.  First, the program doesn't offer
> any logging, and running it with the "do not daemonize" switch with
>
>    # /usr/local/sbin/ntpd -d 2>&1 > logfile
>
> yields no output.
>
> Then, I'm not sure I understand everything I'm reading in rc.subr(8), but
> from trial error, I've discovered that modifying the script's "command"
> variable doesn't work, nor does adding the usual "scriptname_flags"
> directive to /etc/rc.conf.

Scriptname_flags doesn't work because the port maintainer didn't write the
startup script so that it parses rc.conf for variables.  You can edit the
script like this:

command_args="-s"

When rc.subr runs scripts, it runs them like this:

${command} ${command_args} ${command_flags}

Or you can add this to the startup script and then use flags in rc.conf:
load_rc_config openntpd

openntpd_flags=${openntpd_flags:-""}

(In that order.)

Then place openntpd_flags="-s" in rc.conf.

Just remember that every time the port is updated, your changes will be
overwritten, so you'll need to make a backup or leave a note to yourself
somewhere so you remember to alter the new script.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,