Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:34:11 +0000
From:      David Jenkins <david.jenkins@gmail.com>
To:        Mathew Pauhl <m_pauhl@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: signal 11 in 5.3-STABLE install in multidisk, dual-boot

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:12:29 -0500 (EST), Mathew Pauhl <m_pauhl@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to install 5.3-RELEASE (miniinst.iso),
> removing Debian linux, alongside a M$2k partition.
> Essentially all I do is boot to the CD and once I
> attempt to do (any) type of install, as soon as I try
> and change my slice layout (as soon as I hit the arrow
> key actually), I get a '...caught a signal 11,
> rebooting..saving what I can ...' message.
>
> I've installed 5.2 before (a few monthes back), and
> never had this problem.
>
> I researched and found some people who were having
> similar problems in 2003, forget the version..they
> suggested it was a hardware problem, but there was no
> resolution/answer given in the discussion thread.
>
> I have a Dell PIII (866MHz) w/ 256 RAM, 2 CD
> drives....

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know the solution to your problem but you may find
some useful information for dealing with this kind of issue here.

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

I randomly used to get signal 11 problems with a particular MySQL
version, but upgrading to a later version cured that.

Memory is quite commonly at fault (and quite easy to verify), so if
you have more than one stick try removing one of them and/or swapping
them around and see if you still get the same problems (you could also
run memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ )

Hope this helps.

David