Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:52:16 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NO_DESCRYPT patch

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> This is something which has been requested a fair bit..it will disable the
> building of the DES CRYPT libraries even if you have the crypto sources
> installed, so you can e.g. get OpenSSL/OpenSSH without having to deal with
> the pitfalls of libdescrypt. It seems to work fine for me..if I hear any
> other positive feedback I'll commit it.

	What I'd really like to see is a way to have DES code available for
things like front page (yeah, yeah... I know) and other things that just
have to have it but not have anything in the base system use it unless I
tell it to. This might not be possible of course, but if I can't have
that then I'd definitely like to be able to to use the openssl and
openssh stuff without being forced to have DES.

	Meanwhile, it seems that to get all the new bits we have to have
cvs-crypto in the cvsup file, yes?  And if we do that currently (before
your patch) we will end up installing DES, right?

Trying to understand,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"