Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:11:29 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        Steve 1 <ukla@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RPC - any needed?

At 09:53 PM 3/12/2002 -0800, Steve 1 wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking to secure my server as much as possible and wondered if any of
>the RPCs are actually needed... From what I've read so far I can't see any
>need for them if I just want a very simple DNS/WEB/MAIL server.

The most common need would be if you're running nfs or nis services.

Execute this to see if any rpc services have registered themselves with
your portmapper:

# rpcinfo -p

if all you see is something like this, then you can probably kill portmap

    program vers proto   port
     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper

If you have other services registered, then decide if they're needed.  If
not, kill them and your portmap process.

At the very least you should apply some kind of packet filtering if you do
run rpc services.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/