Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:20:38 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jeff Blaufuss <Jeff_Blaufuss@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling Sendmail

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 06:49:47PM -0500, Jeff Blaufuss wrote:
> I want do disable sendmail on my machine to increase security, and
> because I don't use my computer as a mailserver.  I have a question
> about disabling it though.  If I disable sendmail will I still be able
> to send mail to other users on the same machine, like those security
> check messages that root gets every night?

Yes.

> Is there a way to make
> sendmail refuse incoming connections while still allowing mail to be
> sent locally?

Don't run the daemon,

  sendmail_enable="NO"

This does not affect how mail is sent...

...UNLESS...

The attempt fails. The mail will be queued, but there is no sendmail
daemon running to periodically process the queue.

If you are only sending local mail, this is not a concern. If you are
sending outgoing mail to other machines, you can run,

  sendmail_enable="YES"
  sendmail_flags="-q30m"

And the daemon will process the queue every 30 minutes but not listen
on port 25.