Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 06:42:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Barriscale <barrisca@wisdom.ucc.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Barriscale wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing freebsd for some reason. 	VERSION 2.2.5
>
> One problem is that I use partition magic to partition my hard disk but
> the freebsd fdisk just tells me that, that section of the disk is of an
> unknown file system, therefore meaning that I cannot create a slice on
> the disk. Also on the sub section where you are asked create the file
> system I have some difficutly with that too. The defaults won't work for
> this. (a key).
Well, the second part is understandable; you're not going to be able to
create a filesystem if you don't have a partition to create it on.  In the
partition editor, just take the extra (empty) partition you created with
Partition Magic, delete it, and create a new partition with the
unallocated space left behind.  That should sort of the filesystem
problem, too.

> My second problem is that when I tried to install freebsd with nothing
> else on the entire disk, I managed to get through the entire
> installation and I was able to create the entire file system but when I
> got to the actual start of the installation of the files the whole thing
> hung. I think that there might be a problem with the cd-rom drive, but
> I've tried the live file system on the second cd before and that works
> fine. Will I have to modify the kernel for the cd-rom drive. Thanks.
That's interesting.  If it happens again, hit Alt-F2 and see what the
debugging information says.  You may have a scratched CD or something like
that.

> Paul Barriscale
> barrisca@wisdom.ucc.ie

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |